02 April 2012

bienvenue a Paris

I was last in Paris only a year ago, and stepping off the plane it genuinely felt like I had never left. On the metro ride heading into the city, I smiled at the nice French gentleman and he knew exactly where I was from (American tourists always smile).

Le homme: American? (in that awesome Parisian accent)
Moi: Oui. (in my gallant but less effective attempt sounding French)
Le homme: Ah, bienvenue a Frànce.
Moi: Merci boku. 

Such a great interaction to start off my trip. The nice Frenchman then proceded to explain all of the cool things I needed to see, described a woman he knew (perhaps his daughter) who taught at Georgetown, and lobbyed for how cool President Obama is. Europeans, especially the French love Obama.  I pondered about trying to explain the virtues of the conservative political spectrum and that Mitt Romney actually speaks French and lived in France for a few years, but decided to resist the temptation to resume teaching Government on my first official day off. All of this conversation took place in subdued French (it is rude to speak loudly on the Metro).

I took out my trusty Rick Steves:Paris travel  book to write down some suggestions. My impromptu guide got a bit flustered and in a momentary flash of where I am sure I experienced the gift of tounges I understood as he authoritatively declared:
"You don't need a book to see Paris, you only need your shoes!"
Quickly realizing my error, I ruffled in my bags and produced my worn but clearly purposed Asics running shoes. He smiled, and gave me an approving thumbs up.

I spent most of the rest of the day staving off jet-lag and making good on his suggestions. Here is a short-list of the accomplishments for Day 1:

  • My favorite Parisian cathedrals: Sacre Coeur, Notre Dame & St Michel
  • Tasty food at the Latin Quarter
  • Arc di Triumph
  • Montemarte Cemetary (one of the largest in the world)
  • Evening walk on the Siene

I only had to spend 2 metro tickets and walk about 5 miles to get them all. 



No comments: